Saturday, January 23, 2010

LEARN HOW TO SPEAK HOKKIEN

Fookien Lessons

NUMBERS:
1 - it
2 - dee/nung
3 - sa
4 - si
5 - go
6 - lak
7 - tsit
8 - pwe
9 - kaw
10 - tsup
100 - pa
1000 - ching

examples:
11 - tsup it
20 - dee tsup
78 - tsit tsup pwe
300 - sa pa

What's your name? - Di sia mi mia?
I love you - gwa ai di
Thank you - to sha/to sha di
Siensi - Teacher
Ahpoy - Fat
bo chi - no money (in mandarin: meyo chen)
yasui - beautiful
pai kwa - ugly
gwa um tsai nia - i don't know
pang sai - poop (lol!)
cha - eat

FAMILY TIES:
Shobe - Little sister
Shoti - Little Brother
Achi - Older sister
Anya - Brother
Ama - Grandmother (in mom's side)

Goa beh kun Lo - I want to sleep already...
Goa pa lo - I'm full already
Ho Cha Ki - Good morning
Ho Eh po - Good afternoon
Ho Am - Good Evening
Tue pu chu - Sorry

Goa - I, me
Di - you
Goon - We, us
he/she - ee
man/male - Lam me
woman/female- Du we

lang - people
lau - old
ti - pig
huana - people who are not chinese (not sure)
pu - no
howe/Lan-Nang-Oeh - gf/bf
qiao qiao - talkative (this is fookien
slang)
shok - cheap (the food is cheap)
yaqui - expensive
bo sui - no good/not good


Pieng yiu - Friend

Lam Pieng yiu - Boyfriend

Du pieng yiu - Girlfriend

Tak Tse - schooling

tsu Lai - House

tsao - smells bad

che che - sit down

Months: (geh)

it geh - January

di geh - February

sa geh - March

si geh - april

go geh - May

lak geh - June

chit geh - July

pue geh- August

kaw geh - September

Chap geh - October

Chap it geh - November

Chap di geh - December

Some words:
ban ban - slow
tan se - wait
po - clothing

Where are you now?
Di ti to lo ah?

Oh god/oh my god
Gua eh lao tii
(note: my dad always say "wa pe yah" which also means oh my god)

right? (diba in tagalog)
kiam si

khao
cry

ai khao
cry baby (iyakin in tagalog)
*mom calls my dad that. lol!*

gua be theng khi lo
i'll go home now
(it's like chao lo in mandarin which means i'll go now)

ah san
thin
(that girl is "ah san" [thin])

Yan lang po muna

29 comments:

  1. gwa to lai lo. mama bo ti le. gwa kai ki chigeh. What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im home. my mom is not around. im alone by myself.

      Delete
  2. gwa to lai lo. mama bo ti le. gwa kai ki chigeh. What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm home now. Mom is not here. I'm by myself/alone. -hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the meaning of "wa pe lo!"? and what is the Chinese characters for that saying? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is in fookien sino gusto magfrontrow tulungan kita

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we are lighting incense. I heard hapipo ama angkong lai tsa. What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Di e ham bun mia si sia mi —— can you translate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di e ham bun mia si sia mi? (pinyin is allowed) translation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. di ya ai tsia e ming kia si sia mi? what does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Di ya ai dim e si sia mi? please translate

    ReplyDelete
  12. what do u call in hokkien the lighting of incense or praying to ur dead relative's grave/s?

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1- tsit
    7- chit
    10- tsap
    11- tsap it
    12- tsap di

    ReplyDelete
  14. gwa tia di- i love you
    gwa ai di- i like you
    ho tsa khi- good morning
    ho am po- good afternoon
    ho ah mi- good evening

    ReplyDelete
  15. hak tse oh le- toilet
    pang sai- poop
    pang tsao pui- fart

    HAHAHAH IDK Y BUT I JUST WANTED TO PUT THISπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning! my name is bryan de gusman.
    Im 32 years old
    My bithday is june 10 1989
    Pa translate namn please

    ReplyDelete